The differences between shaving soap and shaving cream may not be immediately obvious. However, it comes down to the following five elements:
- Shaving cream is soft and creamy and shaving soap is solid
- You must have a shaving brush to use shaving soap properly
- Shaving soap comes in a reusable and atttractive bowl made from wood, either beech or mahogany
- When you have used all of the shaving soap, you can put a shaving soap refill back into the bowl
- With shaving soap, you are using a more "authentic" traditional shaving product
To use shaving soap properly, wet your shaving brush with warm to hot water and lather it up on the surface of the shaving soap. When the brush is properly lathered, rinse any excess water from the shaving soap bowl and replace the lid. After shaving be sure to rinse your shaving brush and suspend upside-down for it to dry thoroughly before the next use.